Friday, May 4, 2012

Gone But Not Forgotten - Beastie Boys Adam Yauch (MCA) Dies Of Cancer At 47

Punk Hip Hop legend Adam Yauch has died of cancer. He was only 47 years old. I could go on and on about how he co-founded probably the most well known of Post Punk bands. I could wax eternal over his musical accomplishments; the Beastie Boys were inducted into The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame last month. Or, I could praise him for putting his money where his mouth was; he became heavenly involved in the movement to free Tibet. But I won't. In fact, to be as honest as I can be I wasn't a huge fan of The Beastie Boys. Sure, I dug their music, and got what they were about. I knew they were pioneers in their time; mixing Punk and Hip Hop. Genius, in my opinion.  Respect to them.

What I WILL say is that 47 is too fucking YOUNG to die of cancer! Cancer is supposed to afflict the elderly. In a fair Universe, we would all hum merrily along then pop off peacefully in our sleep at 90+ years old. The subject of cancer has hit me closely of late, so I am especially sensitive. I'm as sure that I'm not unique in this experience; I marvel daily that I got to my advanced age of 44 without having it hit all that close to home.

Regardless of my ranting and protests, the Universe took Adam Yauch. Wherever he is or isn't now, I feel like the world is a little colder for his not being alive in it. - RIP



No comments: