Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Book Review - They Shall Take Up Serpents by Randall Marsh

A novel that picked me up and set me down in some place I swear I'd been before

The mark of a good novel is that at the very beginning I get deja-vu. That's when I know I'm going to enjoy the rest of the book. I'm landed immediate some place new that I've never seen before. That's the case with "Serpents". I've stood many times looking down that dirt road and wonder to what community it leads.

That's how this novel begins, with a preacher walking down a road nobody else has noticed. I'm hooked the rest of the way through as the preacher convinces a community to let them "save" them. The story moves to the present day where the community remains isolated and one girl takes an interest in uncovering what has been happening there for more than a generation.

LINK: They Shall Take Up Serpents by Randall Marsh

No comments: